Friday 19 September 2008

phwoar, it's lubricious

I learned one... no, two... new words today. The Telegraph, in the UK, ran a story about the inclusion of phwoar in the Oxford English Dictionary of Modern Slang.

I pointed out the article to my sister and said I'd never heard the word, and she said, 'Of course you have. Phwoar!'

If it's an 'expression of enthusiastic or lubricious approval', then I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit it's new to me. Surely I've walked past a few building sites in my time. How come no-one wanted to lubriciously approve of me?

Lubricious - that's the other new word. My computer dictionary says, 'offensively displaying or intended to arouse sexual desire'.

Maybe I looked so elegantly poised the workers didn't want to impose on me by expressing their approval.

And if you'll believe that you'll believe anything.

3 comments:

Vincent said...

Phwoar, Parlance, how about publishing your photo?

parlance said...

Vincent, I can assure you, it isn't a pretty sight. I'm too old, too tired and too shy to put my photo on my blog.

Vincent said...

I wasn't serious Parlance, have never used the word before and never will again.